Wednesday, April 18, 2012

It Could be Me!

Daily as I walk my boys to and from school we pass many less fortunate asking for money. At first I noticed I would avoid eye contact, but as time went by we saw the same two everyday. One man and one women. The boys and I started saying hi and giving a smile. As nine months have past since we have been here and we have walked to school 5 days a week passing these two people I have found a compassion fill my heart for them. The man always has a smile for the boys and makes silly faces with them. The woman sits outside the Metro station on a little stoop with such kind eyes.As I have looked into her eyes and said hello and smiled her face has stayed with me passed the quick moments of passing her on the street.
She makes me think especially about how that could be any one of us and that I could be that women sitting on the stoop. She is a beautiful women with kind eyes and a beautiful smile. I don't know why she has effected my heart in this way, maybe because she is a women about my age, but in giving a smile, looking into her eyes and not avoiding her I have felt the love of my Savior. I know that the Savior loves her so much and wants the best for her as well he wants the best for all of us no matter our situation.
Through these simple encounters that I have 5 days a week as I walk my boys to school I experience love and kindness in the most unlikely place. I just had to take the time to recognize it. Everyday in this crazy world we are bombarded with messages of all the bad in the world, but I have experienced so much kindness from those who love me and from strangers on the street or Metro. Wither it is someone on the metro giving up their seat so Kaleb and Tyson can sit down, an old man making Origami for the boys, smiles from new friends, or someone letting us go first in line at the market because they see me waiting with two crazy boys. Very simple things, but all important to a me. It is true that the small things in life make a difference.
I hope we can all be kind to one another and see the good that is around us daily.

Have I done any good in the World today
have I helped anyone in need
Have I cheered up the sad
and made someone feel glad
if not I have failed indeed.

2 comments:

Charity said...

Thank you for sharing this, Anna. So true.

Lindsey said...

Thanks, Anna. Well-said. I appreciated this post.